Flat irons and hair straighteners are great for taming unruly hair, but how do you choose one? When it comes to flat irons, quality matters more than anything else. Flat irons use heat to smoothen and straighten hair, and therefore, there can be considerable hair damage, especially with low quality products. Flat irons come in all sorts of sizes and designs, so there is something for every kind of hair.
However, the most important thing that matters is the design and material of the plates, which may have different kind of coating. You can check websites like DesignsAuthority to find the best options and reviews of the leading products, but before that, here are the top materials that you must know about.
- Ceramic coated. Most of the cheap flat irons available in the market today are ceramic coated. These are known to heat up quickly, but may not retain heat for a considerable period of time. As such, you may need to use the straightener at a much higher temperature than other irons. Unless you are on a short budget or have extremely thin hair, do not look for ceramic irons as your first choice.
- Solid ceramic coated. These are a tad better because such irons can hold and retain heat at a constant temperature for a much longer period. The plates also heat up evenly, so the straightening process is much smoother.
- Teflon coated. Brands like Remington do have teflon and ceramic coated plates, which are easy to clean. If you use a lot of styling products, you may want to go for this option as you can clean the plates regularly.
- Tourmaline coated. Tourmaline is a gemstone that’s powdered and used as a coating, which works wonders for locking in the moisture. This is also ideal because it removes static that is responsible for causing frizz. You will get shiny hair without a lot of effort.
- Titanium coated. Often the most expensive flat irons have titanium plates. These are strong but extremely lightweight at the same time. Titanium plates heat up quite quickly and evenly and can hold heat for a much longer time. Since you don’t need to go for high temperature settings, you can reduce hair damage considerably.
If you are using flat irons, do use heat protecting sprays and products, which will help in reducing the possible damage to the hair strands. Check online for options now!